This morning, as usual, I was checking some lovely jewellery my friends on Pinterest had “pinned” and thinking, as usual, how great a site it is. As a gems and jewellery lover, I get so much joy from Pinterest. Even when you think you couldn't possibly find any more beautiful and creative pieces, they just keep coming!
So, out of curiosity, I decided to learn a little more about Pinterest's history, and to see of I could learn some lessons from them to help improve Gemstones Brazil. One of the things that quickly became clear is that Pinterest is this huge marketing machine for lots of producers, sending interested folks to check what is on their sites.
Following, I'll share some tips about how you can make the most of Pinterest for your jewellery business. Did you know?
· Pinterest have been around only from 2010. It seems like much more, no?
· Nine months after launch, the website had 10,000 users! Wow!
· Silbermann, one of the Pinterest founders and a few programmers operated the site out of a small apartment until the summer of 2011.
· In this same summer, Time magazine listed Pinterest in its "50 Best Websites of 2011"
· Pinterest was not expecting to become so popular so quickly, and in January 2011, the iPhone app crashed because it couldn’t handle the traffic.
· The number of Pinterest users who access the site per day has increased by 145% since January 1, 2012.
· Pinterest won two awards at the 2012 Webby Awards: best social media app and people’s voice award.
· 25% of Fortune Global 100 companies are on Pinterest.
Ok, cool, but now, some stimulating facts for our business….
· In December 2011, the site became one of the top 10 largest social networks, according to Hitwise data, with 11 million total visits per week.
· In January 2012, Pinterest drove more referral traffic to retailers than LinkedIn, YouTube and Google+.
· In august 2012, Pinterest became the fourth largest traffic source in the world.
· After Facebook and Twitter, Pinterest is ranked as the 3rd most popular social networking site.
· Pinterest sees 1.36 million visitors every day.
· The main demographic of Pinterest users range between the ages of 25 and 34, followed closely by those who are aged 35 to 44
· 79% of Pinterest users are Women.
· 81% of U.S. women online trust Pinterest as a source for information and advice.
· Mothers are 61% more likely to visit Pinterest as compared to the average American.
· An estimated 47% of U.S. online shoppers have made a purchase based on a recommendation from Pinterest.
· It is found that Pinterest pins that contain pricing are repinned more often than those that don’t.
· Pinterest influenced 10% of online sales.
· Pinterest is engaging users 2-3 times more than Twitter.
· 20% of people who are connected to Pinterest through Facebook access the site every day.
Now is your time: Are you on Pinterest? Would you like to share your Pinterest with me? Or share your experience in the website? Here is Gemstones Brazil on Pinterest.
Have nice Pins!